Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tee in the Way*


Nell is based on the play Idioglossia, a Greek term meaning a personal or private language. Though it is a 1994 film, I didn't get bored. As I have mentioned in the previous posts, I love film viewing.

"Mrs. Doubtfire" is the oldest film I have watched. It was produced in 1993. So "Nell" is the second oldest in the record. I have noticed that U.S. already produced good quality films like these even in the 90's. They are good.

I have come to know this movie because of symbolic interactionism, our next topic in Theories of Communication subject. I quite understood it. It's just that there are some confusions since it was self studied. Well, we'll have a thorough discussion about it this coming Monday. I get the point. But somehow, the idea goes round and round.

Even though I already know what the movie is all about, I still watched it closely because there will certainly be something that will surprise me... and there ARE.

Of course, thinking what happens when something out of the normal turns out, everyone's attention gather to that something. That happened in the movie because imagine, there is this girl who speaks a language that only she understands. Jodie Foster played her role very well. And the well known action star Liam Neeson played a romantic role here as Jerry Lovell, who patiently studied how to communicate to Nell and was successful. He was sweet and kind and thoughtful of his "partner" (played by Natasha Richardson as Paula Olsen). I can't believe it at first. But as the movie went on, I laughed very often.

I like this scene when Liam and his lawyer blocked Natasha and her police force when they were about to pick-up Nell to put her on a hospital. It was very funny. Another scene was when they were watching Nell swim. Their conversation made me laugh.

In the end, "Jerry and Paula got married and had a daughter. The sheriff's wife, who was depressed from the beginning of the film, was no longer depressed and she attributes her transformation to Nell. Despite the fact that has been thrust into a wider world of lawyers, reporters, and salesclerks who label her behavior deviant and insist she conform to societal roles, she seems strangely unaffected by their judgment or expectations. The character Jodie Foster plays radiates an inner peace and contentment."

"You have big things. You know big things. But you don't look into each other's eyes. And you're hungry for quietness. I've lived a small life. I know small things and know left ones. I know everyone goes. Everyone goes away. Don't be frightened for now. Don't wait for her. I have no greater sorrows than you."
---------------------------------------------------------
*Tee in the Way - Tree in the Wind, Nell's favorite line to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment