Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Still Remember...

It's like just sometime ago that I was a first year college student. Now, I am in my second year and I have reached this far. Last week, A.Y. 2011-2012 opened for the first semester and I still remember the professors who I encountered in the previous year and their admirable characteristics.

During first semester, there was Ma'am Narlyne Nicdao with her professional approach. In all the discussions we had, she never held a book or paper and everything there is to say is all in her head. She is well organized too.

There's also Ma'am Josephine Galicha who puts weight on self-discipline, which she defined as "doing the right thing at the right time on the right place to the right people in the right way." Amazing! She is an example herself for she follows her schedule and like Ma'am Nicdao, she acts professionally. Furthermore, there will always be an activity after each discussion to check whether we have learned something. The class experienced fun, though at times, we were scolded.

Another professor is Sir Pastor Arguelles Jr. He's friendly, sometimes to an extent when some students take advantage of him. He's knowledgeable about computers. Whenever we have class, I felt like he was there in front discussing like in a conference. What? We were in a computer lab. He was also professional since he's working in a company. I also want to add, he taught a deeper understanding about the guidelines when making powerpoint presentations.

Last but not the least is my former adviser, Ma'am Violeta Mendoza. The thing that I remember the most is  the moment that we had our make-up class in an AVR. Only few came. Our topic? I can't remember. What I remember is what she said when we we're solving a problem. It may not be exact, but it goes like this, "This is the application of Math in real life. There are lots of problems which you think there has no solution. There is. You just have to find it."

On the second semester, the most challenging of all was Sir David Nye. It may not be the first time, but I failed... but it was so low (in Prelims). If you deduct another one point, oh boy, I'm so dead already. His standards are really high. But I learned my lesson: don't give up and learn your lesson from your mistakes. Even so, he's still kind of approachable because he answered every question I had regarding the subject matter and gave solutions to resolve some problems. That made me end the semester with him with a passing mark. I just lost my scholarship. :(

On the contrary, we have Sir Francis Tagabuan. He maybe strict, but he doesn't enjoy failing students. Well, we are sort of "magkabarkada." (Aww, I miss my journ friends.) He is very good. Though he misses (a lot?) of classes because of work at GMA, we had fun creating short films and documentaries. During discussions, he made the class lively with his funny jokes. He knows his field very well. We also got a chance to work on an audition for their program entitled "Kitchen Superstar."

We'll never forget Sir James Dean Oblena, our clown professor. You have the right to remain silent because everything you say will be used against you... for a joke and laugh. Haha! :D He's cool, easy to be with, knows his field very well. He will just teach you what you have to know and learn the rest with application. It's real fun because you discover and explore with your friends. Sir will just grade your performance, on how well you applied the concept he taught. He also said, "Anyone can take pictures. That is why you are taking this class, to learn how to take photos in different views and angles."

Ma'am Trina Marie Dusaban will not be left behind, the all-around professor (in my opinion). She teaches Mass Comm students, MMA, and as well as Psychology students. She knows a lot. And she taught students how to professionally prepare and deliver powerpoint presentations, which I can say Sir Arguelles helped a lot. Our group's presentation weren't criticized so much. But still, it was criticized.

Last but not the least, presenting: Sir Bayani Balba. I like the way he teaches. He is unique in his style. I like his idea of molding and improving capabilities step by step, not right away. I am referring to journal writing. Back in high school, we had this every Friday (additional information). When I heard the system of the other sections from a friend, I can't help myself but compare (even though it's not quite right.) I thought, wow, I am blessed to have my professors. The other sections have to write on their journals everyday. In reality, it's hard for me because I can't keep mine up to date. Sir Balba's style was in every occasion or sometimes only, which I thought I will also do if I were a professor. And then, one day, in our class, he said the same thing I had in mind on why he gives journal sometimes. Well, isn't that sort of weird? But cool?

This was only the beginning. The journey with my college life and professors still continue. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment