Saturday, December 28, 2013

Flipped

The first time I flipped, I was still in kindergarten. It was below a double-deck and because I like to reach the bottom of the upper part while laying, I lifted my feet and tried to make contact. All that happened is an accident. I was small and there was no way yet that I'll achieve my goal. Instead, I went sideways and went straight to the glass of a  furniture.

I do not know if this is a faint memory or just a figment of my imagination. I did not confirm it with my parents but I believe I'm in the real world. Still, how could I say, I have no evidence.

I like the idea of alternate narration in a first person point of view of this novel by Wendelyn Van Draanen. I like the style of starting the flip with the girl and ending the flip with the boy - suggesting that in the end, the guy eventually fell for the girl. I have not been in a relationship yet but I have seen in many movies (yes, poor me, I know) that it takes some time before someone you like return the same likeness. Most of the time, the one that we like likes someone else and they just ignore the way we look at them. Being able to change the way how they feel towards us is an achievement. Also, well, their flip is obviously different from my flip.

Love in the eyes of young people is an interesting story to follow. As they say, love is the universal language and that love can do things you really can't explain. I certainly like the concept as it was portrayed.
 
I watched the movie and I decided that the book is a lot better. I mean, with all the effort to make this into a motion picture, I give them credit for that. However, I appreciate it more in text because what I felt while reading it was not felt while watching it. Just sharing my thoughts. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment