Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Book About Relationship


Inspired by my friend, I bought and read this book. I remember him say, on our first year college, that he was looking for this book because when he read this when he was young, it made him cry. Now that he found it, he shared it to us, in our circle of friends. But he left and I didn't get the chance to read. So I bought it even though it's kind of expensive.

"hope for the flowers" is a 1972 book, its copyright date. The story is simple. We have these worms who had their journey to become butterflies. Trina Paulus gave them human characteristics, a personification, and I see it just appropriate since they are also living creatures.

Stripe said "there must be more to life than just eating and getting bigger." He had this realization while he was alone. It's true. So he went on his adventure into the world, leaving the place of his birth. He met Yellow. They become more than friends. The one gives meaning to the other.

Conflicts will always be present. Stripe left to pursue his goal. If things can't be done by talking, give each other space because that's the time when each will reflect and realize some things. Yellow thought, "What in the world do I really want? It seems different every few minutes. But I know there must be more."

Of course, along the way, you will doubt at times. Yellow asked another worm, "How can I believe there's a butterfly inside you or me when all I see is a fuzzy worm?"

In life, there are lots of things to learn, to be discovered. We have to believe in ourselves, in our capabilities. Yellow said, "Imagine, I didn't even know I could do this. That's some encouragement that I am on the right track."

Afterwards, she became a butterfly. She went to Stripe and he didn't notice him. In life, not everything we want to say is through words only. We have to see the non-verbal actions and listen to the hidden messages by heart.

In the end, both of them came back to each other again, but now, as butterflies.

To put it in human nature, we started young, just like those caterpillars. We grew up and learned things about ourselves, about others, about life. We once were like others, lost and not sure of what we should do. But as we grow more, we come to realize that there will come a time that we should get out of our shells, and show the world who we really are. We will learn something we might not know we are capable of. In the end, we can shine brighter than anyone in our own ways. Let us pursue our goals and trust not only ourselves, but others as well. People who come to our lives are important for they will accompany us on our journey here on earth. So cherish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment