Saturday, August 6, 2011

Gen Y

I am the type of person who cannot study if there is noise or music. I filter those who I add as friends in my social network accounts. I don't always do things on my own. I have initiative but if in some things, the instructions of my parents and teachers are necessary, I wait for them before I do something. Yes, I now have more responsibilities than before but I don't see them as burden. Only that they are tiring. But sad to say, despite of all these things, I am still part of what is called "Gen Y."

"Who are the Gen Y?

"Those who are exposed to computers, the Internet, mobile phones, and music players. They are web savvy, are multitaskers, and are able to watch TV, surf the web, talk or text on their phones, and listen to music while doing their assignments.

"They are fans of "instants' - instant food, instant dates, even instant friends through the social networks they join.

"Some of them may be more aggressive, daring, and want to try anything new. They are burdened with more responsibility and a greater amount of information than they are used to. They are expected to make correct choices about their own behavior and they do not rely on their parents or teachers to tell them what to do. This is the generation that is at greater risk because of the many changes that require adjustment."

-Source: LPU Guidance and Testing Center

Our present time is really different now. All the good technologies are coming up at the same time. Most people now are techie. I had my own phone only when I was third year high school. Nowadays, someone who is still in grade one has their own phone already.

They also stated that "Today's youth (Gen Y) face more serious and critical risks than any generation. Most experts will agree that violence in schools, deteriorating family structure, substance abuse, alarming media images, and gang activity put teens at risk. Those having trouble coping with the stresses of life are more likely to engage in drugs and alcohol and in criminal activity, experience depression, and attempt suicide."

Well, even though we can say that today we are becoming more advanced and is progressive, it still has positive and negative effects. The deteriorating family structure that was mentioned may increase, in my opinion,  if the divorce bill will be passed.

We should always be careful, think critically, and be wise in decision making because one way or another, these things will affect us. But it is up to us on how they will affect us. Would it be positive or negative? Think about it my co-Gen Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment