Wednesday, February 18, 2015

That Scottish Fold


When I first saw this book, I thought twice whether to buy it or not. I was attracted by the cat but I was not sure. Still, I decided to take it because although this was a 1993 book, I know I'll be entertained - and I was.

It seems too good to be true. However, for a cat person like me, and I think for other cat enthusiasts as well, this is possible. The author said it himself, "Everyone knew cats weren't as affectionate as dogs..." Cats are not known for attachements like dogs have. They may know us but the affection varies fron one cat to another; it is nothing that of the dogs. What Mr. Gethers had with Norton is something amazing.

I myself would want to have a cat. Not exactly like Norton but any cat I can call my own, a cat that will grow with me starting with his kitten years.

His cute; he's called a Scottish Fold because of his ears. Along the way, I found some of their experiences funny but what striked me the most was how the author would get to love another human being.
 
Most part of the book shares his adventures with Norton. Most of the time, he would prefer to be with his cat. I was expecting relationships will be mentioned in between and I was interested on how his relationship status will change. For a person to dearly love his pet that it sometimes becomes the problem, many lessons were learned and that was presented at the last part, as the book's conclusion. In the end, he still found the woman of his life, with Norton still present.
 
Notable Ideas
 
~Norton clearly liked the combination of his freedom and my company as much as I did.
~What really brought us together was the fact that we had one thing in common - we both wanted to stay independent.
~"...I mean adandoning yourself to love. You're an observer. I don't know if you're participant in life... Oh, you do participate but you hold back." -Cindy
~She has always been the quiet strength behind the family,...
~Where I see perfection, they see hair that's not as thick as Paulina's. I see sculpted grace, they see skin that's not as tight as Christie's.
~The physical wounds were surface, but the emotional scars seemed to run deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment