Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dreams Coming True

"This wasn't a strange place; it was a new one."



How I Got It
 
The first time I read The Alchemist was back in high school. It was also the first book of Mr. Coelho that I read. The next were Veronika Decides to Die and Brida. Since it has been a long time and it was a book from the school library, I have forgotten about it.
 
I had no plans yet of buying it at its original price. However, when I found a great opportunity to acquire it, I grabbed it right away. For Php250, I was able to buy The Alchemist and The Pilgrimage as a bundle.
 
What's In It
 
This 1993 work (English version) is about the journey of a shepherd named Santiago, who later on learns about Personal Legend, omens, and Language of the World, to make his dream come true. Along the way, as any of us would, he picked up lessons and experiences.
 
The story started with a magnificent prologue. It makes one wonder how to see things. After refreshing my mind of what this is about, I am trying to look at things differently. We have different perceptions but which angle is the best? See things on the bright side. That's the beauty of this celebrated masterpiece. If you do not change the way you see things, if you interpret signs in a pessimistic manner, things will either get harder than it already is or you won't get that far. I think the theme Mr. Coelho is telling us to watch out for throughout Santiago's journey is about positive perception.
 
As for relationships, he met many unknown people who eventually shared their lives with Santiago. Every character, from the gypsy woman to the old man, from the thief to the crystal merchant, from the Englishman to the alchemist, they all took part to Santiago's growth. Whether the experience with them was positive or negative, they taught him lessons, things he needed to know in a hands-on type of learning.
 
The progression of his journey was step by step. No rush was made. It just shows that as long as you know what to do, it doesn't matter how long wait is. He patiently did what he can at the moment before proceeding to the next chapter. Then, you will realize that it's not actually a detour but parts of the adventure, significant parts. This story opens our minds and we just have to keep it that way.
 
The treasure that he was pursuing came from a dream. He was able to get it while doing what he dreams of doing when he was younger, to travel. That's two dreams coming true. Me? I do not know what my dream is. Though it hasn't manifested in a dream (as in when sleeping) yet, I would like to discover my dream (something I would like) awake. I will take my time in realizing what it is even though it might seem to others that I am kind of wasting time. His plan will unfold according to His will and according to His time. I'll be patient and do the best that I can in the now.
 
Overall, this is a great book.
 
Notable Ideas
 
If in other books I can enumerate them most, I can also do so for this book. Take note, though, that this is incomparable because in every part of it, there are lessons and thoughts worth noting. Maybe if I do it here, I as well ought to have placed the whole book. Still, let me share to you what I have long noted when I first read it.
 
~”And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” -Old Man
~"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."
~”…Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure,…” -Alchemist
~”That’s what alchemists do. They show that, when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us become better, too.” -Santiago
~"'Everything that happens once can never happen again but everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.'" -Alchemist
~...he reminded himself that no project is completed until its objective has been achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment