Friday, February 8, 2013

"Pick It Up and Keep it Hidden"


“If you come to the Philippines, do what Olivia did.
See everything, and fall in love.”
-Andy Mulligan
 


The first time I saw this book, I got amazed; I got attracted. Though I did not buy it right away, I am thankful that at the time I’ve waited to save money, the next time I came back, it was on sale. From the price of Php299, it went down to Php30.

I liked the book. Reading the synopsis, I got more interested. Even though I don’t read it, I still like the book. Why? Because I like stories like this... stories of poverty. I am saying that coming from an average family, and yet knows what it is like to be one.

Believe it or not, I have already experienced being a “basurero.” I want to use the Filipino word itself because I don’t want you to go astray from my point if I use the word “garbage collector.” It may mean the same thing, but the real essence will be felt if it remains that way.

I started being one in January 2008 and ended up that career four years later, in 2012. I still remember the month because that time, I was in second year of high school. Then unconsciously, I stopped being one. Maybe because I am already in college and there are lots of things to do, lots of requirements.

Let me tell you that I know the feeling of joy for doing the things that they do. I know my joy is far from the real joy that they experience because it is their real life and I have another one, but I am proud to say that it is fun being one. There is nothing to be ashamed of because what they are doing is decent. And I know that they also have dreams but in reality, it would really be hard for them. I'm not degrading them. Come to think of it. Notice that they are happier than those living a good life. They may have lots of problems, but they still have fun.

“Samantalang sila ang mga walang pera, pero buhay na buhay ang bayanihan.”
–Bob Ong, Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan

From a point of view of someone who has an average capability in getting desires and needs, in my opinion, no one will try to experience what these people are doing. For me, I did not regret being one. I lived my life from recycling all the things that I can recycle so I know how to relate to those people.

I am impressed, Andy Mulligan. You are not a Filipino and yet you, someone who is from another country, “has written a powerful story about unthinkable poverty- and the kind of hope and determination that can transcend it.” The story may be fictional, but the fact that the idea was formulated when you were in Manila gives an impression that you were touched. Afterwards, you did not hesitate to write a story inspired by it. I thank you for giving your attention to the Philippines and I hope that after publishing this book, you can also help by taking the next step. God bless. :))

When I walk around the shanties, I see the babies,
and I am always asked to hold them.
And while we're smiling and laughing,
I am thinking, in the back of my mind:
 This tiny child – as soon as it can crawl,
it will be crawling through trash."
 -Father Juilliard

No comments:

Post a Comment