Monday, November 5, 2012

New Life Eh?

“Life stinks, so hold your nose.”


According to Callum Innes, private detective is different from private investigator. The first “solves the case” while the latter “just looks into it.” Having said that, P.I. doesn't interfere. He just observes. Cal Innes was a P.I. and when he was asked if P.I. beat people because he did, his defense was “They do if they’re pissed.” This is how Ray Banks put it in his book entitled “Saturday’s Child.”

I still remember how I acquired the book. I bought it from Booksale along Pedro Gil when I still don’t feel like going home just yet. It’s kind of near from school so I paid it a visit before I went home. It was still kind of early that time, so why not right?

I was browsing each section in the big room. Some didn't have labels, but I still managed. I think only a few people were there by that time. There were three women chatting around the cashier. They work there. Then I found it. I wasn't really sure about it at first. But, what’s to lose when it is already hard bound at a cheap price? As I come near them, they stopped talking and said to each other, “Don’t block the way. That’s why no people buy.” Or something like that or along that thought. They were all excited. I was laughing inside, not showing it because it was rude to laugh in that situation. it would be weird and awkward. and it would really seem disrespectful. I hand over the book. What did they got excited for? A 5php book. That’s why i was grinning inside. :P

Anyway, I like the book. It’s something new to me - the way the two characters that narrate the story uses different style of languages. The difference in personalities is very distinct. It’s not the first book though that uses the style of alternate narrations. The first one I read was 'The Hardy Boys.'

The first character, which I like better, uses simple English. Plain and simple, easy to understand. That was Cal. The other one is kind of gangster lingo. I had a hard time with it because I ain't no gangsta so I don’t don't speak like one an' I don’t understand much when I encounter one. Haha! I just got the hang of it. XD

I took note of the anger management ideas from it. When Cal was still in jail, he took a that course. Their group leader said that “First, don’t try to ‘laugh off’ your problems... Rather, use humour to help you face your problems more constructively... Second, don’t give in to harsh, sarcastic humour, that’s just another form of unhealthy anger expression.” It makes sense.

Cal chose a new life, from being a prisoner to a private investigator after he got released when his friend got him a parole. But in the end, the things that he’s doing in P.I. were the things that brought him back to prison. He is smart, thinks of the things he does. He even thought that “early morning silence gives you space to think, even if you don’t want to” and he is aware that “money’s a bitch for bringing the worst out of people, especially when they've got an addiction to feed.”

He knew what he got himself into. His friend tried to stop him, lecturing him an’ all. He said, “I get it.” The thing is, he still went for it. His friend replied, “Nah, mate, I don’t think you get it all.” So, where did that bring Cal? Into trouble.

So, with that in mind, it should always be remembered that decision making takes time. Don’t just decide right away. Think! Cal’s new life isn't a new life at all. If before he gets into trouble, he still gets into trouble now. He may chose to change the way he lives, but nothing is really new there. What’s new is if he’s living a normal life, away from the danger. There should be at least some peace even if the past will haunt him. He should have moved forward. He has a friend who stood by him. As Cal puts it, “He saw something in me I couldn't see in myself.” It was a start he chose to ignore. Don’t do that to your friends. You shouldn't let them go and ignore the. Who knows? They might be rare nowadays. So, you’re lucky if you have one. Value them. :))


No comments:

Post a Comment