Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Dark Night No Longer Exists


Now that I am a college student, there are so many days that I come home late, may it be due to night classes, school projects, or work. Majority of it, I walk instead of ride a tricycle.

Most nights, midnights, or mornings (like 1 am) are terrifying because of the dogs I encounter along the way, but I manage. But, there was this certain night that I got nervous for as I was about to enter a dark shortcut, near our house already, a man who was sitting in front of a closed store stood up and I saw him walk towards my direction. As I move forward, I heard footsteps, just few paces behind me. Even as I got out of the shortcut, you may say I'm paranoid, I thought that he was following me. I tried to stay calm, but my heart beat fast and I made my steps far apart with increasing speed. When I entered our gate, that's when I moved really fast to get inside the house. This is still a time when we had no street lights.

Some details are forgotten as they slowly slip from my mind as time pass by, like "when this was exactly?" Or "what did I do and think as I entered our street?" "Was he still following me?" "Did he pass our house as  if he was going the same way?" But I am sure that this was a night when I got home from work.

After a reported stealing some days ago, a light post (without a light from ages ago) was given light (finally!). It's just right beside our house. So, the dark night no longer exists. But I believe that if I come to decide to walk again instead of take a ride, some parts of the road will still be lurking in darkness.

The light post only took half of my worry...

No comments:

Post a Comment